Lemon Turmeric Lentil Soup
Updated: May 11, 2020
A delicious recipe to warm your soul. Bright lemon, healing turmeric, and comforting lentils will make this a staple on your menu.
Let me just start by saying this isn't ever going to be one those recipe blogs where there is a two page story about why this soup means something to me and the day I discovered a lemon while hiking through the foothills of...no. I'm going to cut right to the chase. Here it is.
// Lemon Turmeric Lentil Soup //
** I have vegan/veg substitutes listed at the end **
👊🏽 With zinc, turmeric, beta carotene and other amazing vitamins and minerals, this soup offers a serious immunity and mental health boost.
1 medium onion chopped
4-6 large cloves of garlic
1 cup carrots diced
1 large zucchini chopped
2-3 lbs chicken thighs
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups Red Lentils rinsed
1/2 lemon juiced
1. Clean chicken and coat with 3 teaspoons salt, 4 teaspoons pepper, 2 tbsp cumin coriander, 2 tbsp turmeric, 1 tsp red chili powder (or more if you want it spicier).
2. Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots and 2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper.
3. Add cumin seeds and sauté a minute more.
4. Add chicken and stir every few minutes. You want to just seat the outsides.
5. Once the chicken looks mostly cooked, add two cups red lentils and fill with about 8 cups of chicken stock. Make sure chicken is covered. Add lemon zest, 4 tsp cumin coriander, 2 tsp turmeric, two tsp salt, and 4 tsp pepper. Mix and bring to a boil. Then turn down heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. The chicken should be cooked, the lentils soft, add in zucchini and any other soft vegetable at this point and simmer for another 10 minutes or until veggies are cooked/heated up. For a final touch squeeze half a lemon into soup.
** For a vegetarian option use vegetable stock instead. Skip the chicken step and add hard veggies first marinating them similar to the chicken. Simmer until veggies are cooked then add any frozen and soft veggies and bring back to a simmer.